|Inside the church of Sant'Onofrio on the slopes of the Janiculum Hill in Rome.
Wikipedia: The church was built in 1439 on the site of an ancient hermitage, as part of a cloistered monastery of the Hieronymites that existed here from the 15th-16th century. It is the official church of the papal order of knighthood Order of the Holy Sepulchre. A side chapel is dedicated specifically to the Order and a former grand master, Nicola Canali is entombed there. The church contains reminders of Torquato Tasso, the author of Gerusalemme Liberata
, the epic poem that retells the deeds of the crusaders who fought to regain possession of the Holy Sepulchre itself. After wandering all over Italy, the poet requested and obtained shelter at the monastery of Sant’Onofrio and spent the last years of his life there.
"The ‘dim religious light’ of the church’s interior is well suited to the almost Gothic lines of its main structure, but the richness of the Renaissance glows in the gold of the frescoes adorning the apse. On the authority of Vasari these are attributed to Peruzzi, though the influence of Pinturicchio is evident in some of them, while others maintain that they are by Jacopo Ripanda in collaboration with Lombard painters. They represent God the Father, the Birth of Christ, the Flight into Egypt, the Coronation of the Virgin, and the Virgin and Child enthroned, surrounded by the Apostles, saints, sybils and angelic musicians." (Georgina Masson: The Companion Guide to Rome, Woodbridge 2009).
• Added to the gallery on May 21, 2012
• File size: 3.9 MB
: 3449 (#1922
Inside the 12th century church of San Nicola in Carcere on Via del Teatro di Marcello in Rome, Italy.
"San Nicola in Carcere is a church dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra, the patron saint of sailors and of children and the remote cause of the phenomenon of Santa Claus. It is a minor basilica and a titular church, and is also the regional church for those from Puglia and Lucania living in Rome
Perhaps the most interesting thing about the church is that it incorporates the remains of three temples of the Republican era (2nd century BC) which used to stand in a row, side by side in the ancient Forum Holitorium with their entrances facing east. [...]
The nave has seven ancient columns in the arcades on either side, and as mentioned they are not a matching set. Most are Doric, but the four nearest the presbyterium are Ionic. The flat 19th century nave ceiling is coffered in large panels, and is richly decorated in blue and gold with rosettes and tendrils. The coat of arms of Pope Pius IX is displayed. The ceiling of the transverse presbyterium is higher.
The high altar has a baldacchino, and beneath it is an antique green serpentine bath containing the relics of martyrs. [...] There is a U-shaped sotteraneo in front of the altar, with a marble balustrade. The apse behind the altar has frescoes from the 19th century restoration, and are of 1865. On a fluted column near the door, you can see the 11th century dedicatory inscription." (Text from the Churches of Rome Wiki).
• Added to the gallery on Jan 5, 2012
• File size: 4.1 MB
: 6971 (#483
Watching the sun rise over Rome from the Gianicolo Hill. #
• Added to the gallery on Jan 18, 2013
• File size: 2.9 MB
: 2535 (#2270
Inside the church of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio, commonly called the Martorana, on Piazza Bellini in Palermo, Sicily.
"The church is renowned for its spectacular interior, which is dominated by a series of 12th century mosaics executed by Byzantine craftsmen. The mosaics show many iconographic and formal similarities to the roughly contemporary programs in the Cappella Palatina, in Monreale Cathedral
and in Cefalù Cathedral, although they were probably executed by a distinct atelier. [...] The nave dome is occupied by the traditional Greek image of Christ Pantokrator surrounded by the archangels St Michael, St Gabriel, St Raphael and St Uriel. The register below depicts the eight prophets of the Old Testament and, in the pendentives, the four evangelists of the New Testament. The nave vault depicts the Nativity and the Death of the Virgin. The newer part of the church is decorated with later frescoes of comparatively little artistic significance. The frescoes in the middle part of the walls are from the 18th century, attributed to Guglielmo Borremans." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on Apr 22, 2014
• File size: 4.6 MB
: 2487 (#2296