Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
WW1 military cemetery on Jabłoniec Hill near Limanowa. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
WW1 military cemetery on Jabłoniec Hill near Limanowa.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.7 MBViews: 11809 (#98)
The early 17th-century wooden church of Saint James' in Powroźnik. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The early 17th-century wooden church of Saint James' in Powroźnik.

"The earliest mentions of Powroźnik date back to the 14th century. The name of the village probably refers to its villagers’ main activity: growing hemp to be used for making rope. After 1565, when the village was re-chartered under Wallachian law, Powroźnik was inhabited by settlers of Ruthenian origin (referred to as the Lemkos since the 19th century). This community went about erecting a church, which was consecrated on October 5th, 1600. On June 18th of 1607, work on the paintings decorating the interior of the sanctuary – the holiest place in the Orthodox church, or the space where the Eucharist is kept – was completed. Traditionally, this space is not accessible to the congregation, which is separated from it by an iconostasis. [...]

The church in Powroźnik is a classic example of Lemko Orthodox churches. It is representative of the north-western style, whose examples may be found throughout Poland (the western and central area of Lemko settlement) and in Slovakia, by the border with Poland: it is wooden and shingled, with a timber frame structure and a post-frame tower. The church faces eastwards and is subdivided into three parts: it consists of a chancel on an irregular rectangle plan, a four-sided nave that is broader than the other parts, and the women’s gallery on a square plan, above which there is a four-sided tower with a chamber section that bends forward. A semi-hexagonal vestry adjoins the chancel on the northern side, while a vestibule adjoins the women’s gallery on the eastern side. The chancel has two windows (on the northern and eastern walls), while the vestry has two (on the northern and southern walls), and the nave three (on the southern wall). The chancel is covered with flat vaulting and bed-moulding, and the vestry has mock barrel vaulting. Above the nave is tiered hipped vaulting, and the women’s gallery is covered with flat vaulting. There are ridged roofs above the chancel and vestry, and hipped roofs above the nave and tower. The tripartite division of the church is accentuated by bulbous domes topped with crosses that are located over the chancel, nave and women’s gallery." (Text taken from the 13th Małopolska Days of Cultural Heritage website).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 5.4 MBViews: 4478 (#1510)
The early 17th-century wooden church of Saint James' in Powroźnik. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The early 17th-century wooden church of Saint James' in Powroźnik.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.8 MBViews: 6285 (#645)
St. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in PowroźnikSt. James' church in Powroźnik
The sacristy of Saint James' church in Powroźnik has its walls covered by 400 years old paintings. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The sacristy of Saint James' church in Powroźnik has its walls covered by 400 years old paintings.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.4 MBViews: 4503 (#1498)
St. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristySt. James' church in Powroźnik: paintings in the sacristy
The wooden Eastern-Orthodox church of St. Demetrios (1861) in Leluchów. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The wooden Eastern-Orthodox church of St. Demetrios (1861) in Leluchów.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.0 MBViews: 4114 (#1699)
St. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in LeluchówSt. Demetrios' church in Leluchów
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017